Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Our New Home

Well, we did it.
We finally made it to Maine.
We have been planning and getting ready for so long,
I really didn't know if  we were ever going to actually get here, but we did.

The Trip

The drive here was an adventure of itself. Let me just say, I am sooo very tempted to leave all of our stuff here, fly home, and start over. The first two days were pretty exciting so the miserable drive was masked by excitement. Day three and on however, we all were over it. I can honestly say the worst part was eating fast food, every meal. Yuck. Let me just tell you I am always up for going out to eat, Tanner not so much, but this trip gave me enough fast food to last a life time. Carter has had about enough chicken nuggets forever too, he stopped eating them around day 3. We also had some exciting/terrifying days at first. We were driving right through the tornadoes that were going on. Luckily we were higher up North so we didn't get it that bad, but for a couple of nights we were forced to stop driving because of the storm. Not being use to tornadoes I was pretty frazzled. One of the nights that we were forced to stop we stayed in a TINY little town. I don't mean tiny like Pocatello, I mean TINY TINY. They had exactly two motels..... and a Diner. The motel we stayed at was absolutely the most disgusting place I have ever slept. I don't love hotel floors ever, but this was a whole new level. We were scared to touch anything, it was so filthy. We made it through the night with a few hiccups, (Carter fell off the bed in the middle of the night) and by morning we couldn't wait to get out of there. Tanner got up and showered and came out to let me know that Carter and I would not be using the shower and we would just have to wait until we stopped again. I guess its pretty bad when you feel cleaner not taking a shower than taking one. Needless to say we left super early. After that experience we had pretty smooth sailing. Carter had pretty much given up on life outside of his car seat. Lots and lots of movies were watched and lots of naps were taken. Poor guy had no hope for life by this time. We finally made it into Portland on day 5 around 5:30 to grab the keys to our apartment.

Moving in

Right when we got here we had to start moving in and make it so we at least had a bed to sleep on. We had called the bishop before hand and he told us to just let him know when we would get here so he could round up some guys to help us out. Well Tanner forgot. So we moved everything in (which wasn't much) by ourselves. Next time Ill be sure to call the bishop myself. Anyway, as we were moving in Carter was going crazy just for the fact of being out of his seat. We were bringing his bed in, when he lost it. This little guy has been through a lot the last couple months, But as I was bringing his bed in he started crying and yelling "No No No!!! Go home mommy, go home." and that would be the first of Carter and I's break downs. I couldn't stand seeing him miserable and wanting to go home sooo bad. I tried to explain that this was home, which made him cry harder, with more no no mommy go home go home. This also made me have myself a little break down. All I could think about was going home, to all of our comforts. After un-packing more it started to feel better to get our stuff out and have some of our comforts.

Settling down     

Now it is almost a week later, we are moved in, and Tanner is officially a P.A. student as of yesterday morning. We are starting to realize that this is our new home and not just a vacation. Sunday helped all of us a lot. Our ward was so welcoming and made us feel so much better. There were a few student families that are in the same situation as us. They made us feel so welcome and we actually went on a picnic to the beach yesterday. We are still having upsets every once and awhile, we have yet to have a night without Carter in our bed, but there are worse things in life. Bedtime is nothing what it use to be, and naps are officially gone but I'm sure with time we will all get use to our new home, and the city of Portland does make it a little easier. It is so beautiful here with so much to do that I'm sure we will keep ourselves busy. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

About Me

My photo
We are the Mittons. We were married on Dec 5, 2008 in the Idaho Falls temple. Tanner and I are both attending school. Tanner is going into the medical Field and I am doing the study of sign language.